Thursday, September 21, 2017

Still learning...




Still learning…

Since August 2017, I have viewed over 250 Youtube videos – all about keeping chickens! I so appreciate the folks that have taken the time to share their experiences, the pros/cons, and offer tips and suggestions! It’s amazing.

In another article, I will share my favorite – go to – Youtube stars!

I’m a visual learner. Actually seeing things ~ rather than reading descriptions ~ helps me better gather the knowledge needed before jumping into the act of keeping chickens.

Joining a few Facebook groups dedicated to keeping chickens has also helped me tremendously. Although I’m sure there are hundreds to choose from, these are the “closed groups” I selected (so far!):

Chicken Keeping 101 Friendly Southern Edition

Chickens in the Backyard

Chicken Keeping 101

One question I posted, I asked which type of coop they preferred: raised or ground.  I received an overwhelming response. I would say 98% answered, “Raised” and many shared photos of their set up, and explained why.

So… that’s what we will go with… a raised coop.

Although we don’t plan on getting baby chicks until Spring of 2018, I also wanted to know what/which plants to plant, in preparation for the upcoming “Dinos”! I wanted to know what was best for their health, those that help to keep pests away, and for the Dinos to find enjoyment or protection while inside their run.

Oh. My. Goodness.

I just finished reading the book from cover to cover, Gardening with Chickens, Plans and Plants for You and Your Hens, written by one of the “stars” on Youtube, Lisa Steele of Fresh Eggs Daily.


I took notes, made lists, and now know what to look for and purchase (then plant!) when we attend the Annual Herb & Art Festival "Jammin' With Art In The Park"on October 14th.

I’m thrilled I bought this book first!

Yesterday evening, her book Fresh Eggs Daily, raising happy, healthy chickens, naturally, arrived! Perfect timing! It’s the one time I’m ready for a hot afternoon to just sit back under the air conditioning and read!

 
I also thoroughly enjoy Lisa’s Facebook page, Fresh Eggs Daily!

But for now, it’s time to get busy readying the garlic planting bed!


No comments:

Post a Comment